Friday 9 December 2011

Deaf Community

Well, although I don't have to do anymore blogs, I think it would be best for me to reflect on different cultural experiences on this blog, so that future Child and Youth Worker Students are able to get a better understanding as to what is expected of them in this assignment, but as well as what they may expect to see when getting into the field.  Today was the last official class, and I wasn't going to write any blog this week, but I really wanted to comment on the life changing experience I had with the guest speaker we had.  The guest speaker we had today was one from the Deaf Community.  He Graduated from Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf, and now he I believe is the president.  He Advocates for the deaf, and his story touched me.

I shared a story about an experience I've had communicating with the deaf. While I was working a customer came up to purchase a few items and she had let me know she was deaf with hand gestures.  Since I didn't know any Sign Language I pointed to the price and tried to do visuals.  When Aaron (the guest speaker) let me know that what I did wasn't a bad thing and that I actually did good to try and communicate with her I felt a little relieved.  I felt pretty good about myself and the fact that I didn't offend by trying to make it visual.  I know how to say 'Thank You', 'F*** You', 'B****', and 'Crazy' in Sign Language and I didn't think most of those would be appropriate to use and so I just try to do a visual thing because both the deaf people I have come across and myself have eye sight which is something we can use to communicate.


Also during his visit, I was watching him sign and it reminded me of something I think I'd be good at doing.  I talk with my hands all the time already, and I figure if I learn Sign Language while speaking normally, I would still be talking with my hands, but I would actually be saying things with my hands rather than just moving them.  After class today I was so inspired by Aaron that I came home after class and started looking up where I can learn Sign Language.  I've established that I will take a class at Georgian College for basic Sign Language.  But once I've accomplished that I will save to go to George Brown College and take their American Sign Language and Deaf Studies Program.  This plan would be so life changing and such an incredible experience that I am so interested in doing.  I would love to be able to communicate with Aaron, along with any person who is deaf or hearing impaired without needing an interpreter.  It would be one of those experiences that I think would be worth every minute.

After getting myself some experience within the field of Child and Youth Work I would love to advocate for the deaf just like Aaron does.  I never realized the discrimination that goes on for the deaf until he explained the problem he's having with a fire alarm.  Something every house has to have, but the ones in his house really don't work.  He can't hear them, so why would the fire marshall by any means think they work? It's not fair to anyone when the deaf are in danger because of a fire all because of different needs.  Knowing this, it got me curious as to what other things are needed for the deaf among other cultures that should be accessible but are far from being reasonable.  But I would love to advocate and help get the needs for people who can't get it within reason.  Everyone's life is worth living and people who can hear a fire alarm should understand and respect that!

No comments:

Post a Comment