Thursday 10 November 2011

Incredible Learning!

This week in class we had two people give a presentation on the LGBTQ part of our community.  It gave a alot of insight on how peoples choices effects others choices.  They had talked about homophobia.  That hit a soft spot for me because my brother happens to be homophobic.  I don't think it's by choice.  My mom influenced us as kids growing up.  She would always say anyone is allowed to be gay except for her kids.  My brother took that differently.  If I hadn't had so many friends who were gay, lesbian, and bisexual I honestly could very well have the same views as my brother, but I was not ready to give up my friends because of any sexual orientation.  My brother on the other hand has given up friends because of sexual orientation because of his fear.  I'm not sure if his fear has anything to do with his sexual orientation, or his lack of confidence in his sexual orientation, or even his lack of knowledge on people with different sexual orientations.  I love him no matter what, and I will be here to help him through anything he needs.  He knows that, and thats all I need for him to know.

As they were talking, they talked about different movies that were about the LGBTQ community.  When they brought this up, I was thinking about a movie I had recently seen called "RENT".  I feel this movie best percieved what people thought of people with a different sexual orientation as well as many different things.  Most of the characters had AIDS, but they had relationships within their time.  Roger was a straight man who ended up falling in love with Mimi who was a neighbour.  Roger lived with Mark who was dumped by Maureen because she fell in love with a female named Joanne.  Roger and Mark were friends with Tom Collins who fell in love with Angel who was a transgender female.  The movie is so complex in the story but so important to seeing how positive these people live with all the obstacles they come up with.  It does have a lot about AIDS in it, but I feel that it doesn't show AIDS as a disease that only LGBTQ people get, Both Roger and Mimi had contracted it through other means, whether it be sleeping with a partner who had contracted ot, or sharing a needle with someone who had contracted, both options were implied in the movie.  It's so vibrant and fun I just feel that it gives a good way to view sexual orientation.

This topic interests me greatly, because growing up I was not sure what my sexual orientation was.  I was blinded by trying to please my mom, but had many friends who had figured it out for themselves.  I was bi-curious for the longest time.  But once my mom told me that if I had a girlfriend I could bring her home if I wanted, I knew right then and there.  I'm a straight person.  I think I just needed the option to be there for me to realize its not for me.  But thats not the case for everyone.  I think with this presentation that I wouldn't know how to make the connection with someone who is part of the LGBTQ sexual orientation.  I can do my best to support their sexual orientation to the best of my knowledge, but will that be enough for these kids? I want to hope so.  I want to be a supporter of everyone who lives a different lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment